More than 200 people gathered in Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia, on Monday, 10 August 2026, for a local commemoration marking twelve years since the Ezidi Genocide, which began on 3 August 2014 when ISIS attacked Sinjar and surrounding Ezidi villages in Iraq.
The gathering brought together Ezidis, local organisations, representatives of different faith groups and Federal Member for Cowper Pat Conaghan. The event focused on remembrance, the continuing search for missing Ezidis and the long-term impact of genocide on families now living in Australia.
Family photographs were displayed throughout the commemoration, showing relatives who were killed, abducted or remain missing. For many Ezidis who have rebuilt their lives in Coffs Harbour, safety in Australia has not ended the uncertainty surrounding family members whose fate remains unknown.
Hadi S., who spoke on behalf of local Ezidis, highlighted the importance of ensuring that wider Australian society understands who the Ezidis are and what happened during the genocide. The gathering also drew attention to families who remain separated between Australia and the region and renewed calls for humanitarian pathways that could allow relatives to reunite.
Several Ezidis shared personal experiences of loss. One man said dozens of members of his extended family had been lost, while Azad said 36 of his relatives remain missing. Another woman continues to wait for news of her husband twelve years after his disappearance.
Milan, who was six years old when ISIS attacked in 2014, also spoke about surviving years of separation, captivity and forced labour as a child. She now lives in Coffs Harbour, while her younger cousin Nora remains missing.
Young Ezidis played a prominent role in organising and leading the commemoration, including as presenters and translators. Their participation reflected an effort to ensure that the history of the genocide is carried forward by a new generation while also presenting Ezidis through survival, continuity and cultural strength.
Representatives from North Coast Settlement Services, STARTTS, Narranga Public School and local Jewish and Muslim groups also attended.
Although the genocide began on 3 August 2014, the Coffs Harbour gathering was held one week later as a local commemoration. Twelve years after the genocide, the event reflected an unresolved reality for many Ezidi families in Australia: relatives remain missing, families remain divided across borders and the consequences of ISIS crimes continue long after survivors have reached safety.